Peter Loso was main settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was structured in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph received its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Village was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so does the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a jail, install a public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and establish liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also problems and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was prepared, which is currently the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with Saint Joe Mo around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the households after multiple many years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and dog care. Soon after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the conflict ended individuals were able to get their lives back again on the right track, at least for a while, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in effect so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the market crash. Using the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to stick together more than ever. Through a national offer, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially joined the US into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph experienced a people of around 1050, losing website 10 heroic soldiers to the battle. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its drinking water supply, and remains to take action.